Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Habits I Gained When I Moved to Kuwait.

1.) Consumer 'O Garbage.
I throw all of my garbage in the garbage can, which adds up at an alarming rate with the thick packaging they use at grocery stores and the fancy to-go containers I get with all my food deliveries. I always said recycling is something you can do for no cost and with minimal effort, but which feels so rewarding. There is nowhere to recycle in Kuwait, that I know of, so I've gotten where I don't even feel too guilty about it. I used to be such a sorter of trash and advocate of recycling.


2.) Food Delivery Orderer.
The first habit leads quite nicely into my next new practice. I regularly order food. It is fairly reasonably priced and simple to do. Maybe too simple, because the cost and the calories still add up. With a few taps on my iPad I can place my order and charge my credit card. One element of effort has recently been added to the mix. I now have to go downstairs to the front of my apartment to pick up my food order. This added security measure, calls for enough added exertion of energy that it has deter me from ordering a couple of times.

3.) Couch Potato.
I now lay comatose on the couch much more than pre-Kuwait. I am currently feeling lost as all the CIA shows I can stream, have been viewed. I rarely watched any TV before the move to Kuwait. The change is in part because this is teaching year number 1. Period. But additionally, my limited introvert's energy is depleted by the end of the day. I spend my words for the day on my students which leaves me a drained zombie. Nevertheless, I miss that self-righteous feeling I got from not having television as my norm.

Urban dictionary says a couch potato is a lazy person who does nothing but sit on the couch and watch television (see also sofa spud)

4.) I'm a Shut-In.  

shut-in
        noun:  1. One confined to one's home, as from illness.
Yep.

I'm allergic to stares and garbage.


I am being a bit dramatic, but even though the weather is at a near perfect 70 degrees fahrenheit this time of the year in Kuwait, I don't go outside. I don't want to revisit my walking woes but I'm thankful for my lifesaver-of-a treadmill. I made a point of getting out all most year-round in the (sometimes bitterly cold) Midwest, so making a habitual practice of staying inside is no small thing. I crave nature (Cottonwoods and sunsets) even tame nature (paved paths, flower gardens- any greenery!), but... My allergies are intense. 


Late Night Society.
People here go out at night. I can't tell you first hand that even children are still out at 11pm because I have not adopted this habit, but I hear things. Still a morning person here! On the weekend, in the mornings the malls are deserted, but watch out! by 4 pm everything is packed and the traffic is jammed. 
So, if Kuwait is a late night society. Why do we start school at 7 am? Very. Good. Question. (Yes, my students are often sleepy.)

Power Outages. 
Last Saturday night, the power went out in 80% of Kuwait for a couple of hours. The Kuwait Times reported the outage, "disrupted traffic, left people stuck in elevators and on Ferris wheels". I was at home and thought briefly about weather my food would defrost before falling to sleep. Thankfully, it was back on when I woke up, and my food was frozen solid. Oddly enough, the power went out country wide almost exactly a year prior, which makes my mind scramble for some sort of conspiracy theory. Hmm...?

Friendship Day. 
Valentine's Day is taboo here. Actually to be specific it is banned due to its non-Muslim roots. Though most don't- Think. Saint .Valentine. You know, the Roman priest who fought for the common people's right to be married- way back when. Valentine's Day has almost entirely lost its religious implications in this modern day though. So maybe they are actually banning the celebration of romantic love. Either way, we are not allowed to celebrate it at school. We had "Friendship Day". There were not any Valentines passed out. We celebrated Friendship Day by wearing red and pink and the student council sold roses. Insert shoulder shrug. Oddly, we can celebrate Christmas in Kuwait and in our classrooms.  


Sandstorm.
My experience in dust storms, thus far on this middle eastern journey, had been more of a dust fog; a recess cancelling, hair and skin coating rare occurrence. It had definitely been more mild than I expected. This past weekend though, there was an actual sandstorm. I was safely tucked away inside, but the videos and images I have seen, are awesome. Er... I mean scary.


National Day. 
"No other country is obsessed with their flag, like America." A foreign friend told me that many years ago, and it has always stayed with me. The idea was confirmed by others over the years. I believe they found this to be prideful and presumptuous of America. And I can understand that view. But those people have not been to Kuwait. This country is flag happy year round. And next weekend is their National holiday! So... wow. I love that they are proud of their country. The amount of flashy black, red, green and white gear currently in stores is impressive. I have my I love Kuwait baseball hat ready to wear to school and my classroom is boldly laced with mini flags (a student brought in some decorations).


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honesty! Wish I could be there to hangout with you!! Those dust storm pics are mind boggling!!! Can't even imagine...praying for you!

    ReplyDelete