Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Shanghai Disney and a Nebraskan Christmas

Annual Trip  

I took another late fall trip to Shanghai, like I did last year. I'd like this to become an annual thing, although I may consider visiting in a warmer month next time. This trip I went to check out Disneyland. I was able to stay again, with my gracious American teacher-friend, who now works in Shanghai, but whom I met in Budapest 12 years ago. We also checked out the view from the Shanghai Tower. 


Disneyland 

Disneyland was fun. Besides a one-day trip to Anaheim when I was 13, I hadn't been to any Disney parks before. We were some of the only foreigners, but it was busy! With my companion's Shanghai Disney and Fast Pass expertise, we got to go on all the rides we wanted to and we were front and center for the parade. It was so much fun! 














Tall Towers

We ascended the, current, second tallest tower in the world, the Shanghai Tower. The tower also boasts the world's fastest elevator. Its world standing is soon to change with Saudi Arabia's Jeddah Tower scheduled to be completed and become the tallest any day now. This will make the Shanghai Tower the third tallest in the world. The Burj Khalifa, in Dubai, now holds the 'tallest' title.

It's such a blessing to be able to take affordable weekend trips to such interesting locations. 




I'll Be Home For Christmas

After a grueling 3 flights, and nearly 30 hours of travel, I arrived in the 'good life' state of Nebraska, minus a suitcase. It arrived after two days, but my jet lag lingered for 8. Regardless, I had a great Christmas at 'home'. My sister and brother-n-law graciously let me stay with them again. I got to spend a lot of time with my niece and older nephew since they were out of school for Christmas break. I also had quality time with the rest of my family and got to visit with several friends. 

I forgot, and loved being reminded of how easy and convenient everything is with a car and with... English. 

I happily received the gift of a beautiful white Christmas. It helped to also remind me of how much I don't like being cold, and how I am not a fan of freezing wind. Flat landscapes, like the panhandle of Nebraska, are very windy. But it really was beautiful. 

I have a lot of favorite memories from this trip. 
- Watching movies with my oldest nephew who gets up earlier than the rest of the household, and seeing him perform in the school play as the 'Candy Cane Kid'. 
- Seeing how excited my 5 year old niece was to open her spigen style ring for her phone. (She has an old iPhone for taking pictures.) The small things.
- Taking silly pictures with the above two, my sister and my youngest nephew. 
- Bravely trying out the drastic foot peeling Baby Foot with my sister(her gift to me).
- Watching lots and lots of cheesy Christmas movies with her (and the others forced to watch with us)(my gift to her).
- Catching up over coffee and meals with friends and other family. 










Knowing that saying goodbye also means leaving the freezing weather, made things a little easier. Nebraska isn't my 'home' right now, but I'm extremely grateful to know I always have a home there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment