Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Transitions

Travel
Travel went as expected. The 12 hour flight seemed unending. I love the way they have it set up to watch movies now.  I started one on the flight from Chicago to Dulles and watched the ending of it on the long flight.

All of my bags arrived and I was allowed to take my guitar though I had to ask flight attendants to help me figure out where to put it on each flight. Once in my life, I want to fly first class, but now I can say my guitar has, twice. I better keep practicing with all the effort I put into bringing that thing!

When we arrived it Kuwait, it was not unexpectedly hot, but s-super humid. Supposedly this is not normal, but eye glasses and iPads were fogging over.

I have already met some open and friendly people. What an experience! At least 30 of us were getting to know each other as we waited in line to have our passports stamped. Porters were scrambling to gather and load all of our luggage. Busses took us and our stuff to our apartments.

My apartment
There are 3 large apartments for teachers and I knew ahead of time I was in the oldest of the three. Still, I admit my first impression was that it isn't as nice as I'd hoped. But after some changes, it is already feeling more homey. My changes have, essentially, just been to take out furniture. It feels larger and more balanced already. It reminds me of an older European flat. All tile with a tiny kitchen including a gas stove you have to light with matches.  I do have 2 bedrooms but one is pretty full(for the time being) of all the unnecessary furniture they put in this place. The furniture the apartment is furnished with, are new and attractive though not top quality.

Still just getting settled but, a couple pics:
The other 2, newer, apartments are right next door. I can move into one next year if I want to. They have a pool, game room and workout room, which I can use now, too.

Seemingly weird apartment facts:


- Way too much furniture, as mentioned above.
- No electrical outlet in the bathroom, at all.
- Only one electrical outlet per room (er, minus the bathroom).
- The water in the bathroom sometimes runs brown. (I have filtered water in the kitchen)
- There are these raised ledges going into the bathroom and kitchen. I've tripped once.

Sweet things:

- They furnished us with a couple cheap pots and pans, cutlery and dishes and a little water kettle, cereal, COFFEE (Hallelujah), tea, eggs, fruit, bread, PB&J, water, etc. As well as simple, new linens.
- I control my own air conditioning. This is nice since it is so hot. Today the high was 113.

Today we will meet for breakfast together and go shopping for food and household things. Tomorrow we leave at 7:30 to head to the school and begin new teachers meetings. And, I hope, to see our classrooms.

Whats on my short list of To Do's:


- Post this. (Check)
- Workout.
- Explore the area on foot.
- Call and take a taxi somewhere, anywhere.
- Wouldn't mind twisting someone's arm to go with me on foot to find the nearest Caribou. I knows it's close. Caribou, ironically, was the first thing I saw when I got off the plane.
- Ordering my dinner to be delivered. It is common and cheap to order in your food and I just want to try it.
- Find and go to a church.
- Visit the big mosque.
- Go to the rotating cafe located at the top of one of the Kuwaiti towers.

My to short To Buy list:


- Phone and internet (probably will be a couple days though).
- Extension cords and plugs.
- Food.

I haven't heard a call to prayer yet, but I'm not sure why because I think I see a mosque right across the street.

Temporary free internet is set up for us in the game room of one of the the nicer apartment buildings. Picture from where I am posting this from: 

9 comments:

  1. Glad you made it, Shannon! I love the pics and your descriptions. Sounds like you are settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to imagine what other furniture they could have fit into that place!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Shannon! It's interesting to have something to compare it to. I'll keep you in my prayers as you adjust. What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet pics :-). I wonderif the extra furniture is compiled from other teachers who have moved in and out and there isn't much storage? That's great about your guitar flying first class :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I hope you find Caribou too :-). Your pics make me wish I could just hop over for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! And yes, it is very humid there. Was married in Kuwait City during first deployment in 2004. And during last deployment I was an Army Logistics NCO. So, work at port often. Had my full bladder removed in Kuwait too! Lol good surgery! May God continue to pour blessings upon you & all those He surrounds you with! Amen! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I'm planning on teaching 3rd grade at ASK next year, and I just stumbled across your blog. Has it been easy to find health foods, like flax or raw cashews?

      Delete
    2. Sarah and Zach, yes nuts are everywhere and I know you can get flax seed from Sultan Center, a common grocery store here. 3rd grade! Exciting.

      Delete