Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2018

You're Traveling Alone? And Other Questions I'm Asked

While most people say they think "...it's amazing all the places you've seen." or "It's great that you've been to so many places.", I'm regularly asked all three of the following questions. Here are the short and the long answers...

Why do you travel so much? Why not?
Most people at my age are well into their settled-down-with-a-family stage but that hasn't happened for me, so why act all settled down. I don't have kids who need stability or a job that limits my vacation time. 


And it's all right here, it's affordable, and it's beautiful.

Doesn't traveling make you tired? No.
Well, it can, so I need to make sure I relax. I LOVE relaxing. But why not do it in new places. I relax by doing an assortment things: reading (I'm always reading lots of different books, as well as reading through the bible), reflecting, walking/hiking/biking, eating, drinking coffee, studying Chinese... And I can do those things walking around different cities and sitting in different cafes around the world.

And as I've said before, I don't hike or see sites the whole day. I spend a lot of time sitting at cafes or relaxing in my room. And I always get private rooms.


And sleeping. I lOVE sleeping, too. I can take naps anywhere, a train, a plane, a taxi, a public bus, the airport. Really.

Who are you traveling with? Are you traveling alone!? Yes.I am traveling alone.
Umm, well I'm single. While I think there can be benefits to traveling with others as well, doing things with someone else all the time isn't realistic. 


I do everything alone already. I'm always by myself. I eat alone, I go grocery shopping by myself. I. do. everything. by myself. And I don't often get too fed up with me, which I guess is a good thing.

And I'm independent (maybe partially by circumstance, but my parents say even as a child I was just as content to be by myself as with others). 

I sure would miss out on a whole lot of good things, not just travel, if I didn't do things alone. 



=



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your travels and adventures with the rest of us, Shannon! I still travel alone sometimes... Cindy does too. We both enjoy that sense of freedom, adventure, unknown, and going someplace new. I took lots of pictures on those early journeys, because in my heart I wanted to be able to share the views and experiences with someone else. Then came the internet! You have an amazing spirit and I'm so glad you are living life to the fullest wherever your feet take you! Hopefully our paths will cross again one of these days. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we call it the "20 questions". We get asked the same questions all the time. Where are you from? Is your husband Mexican? Are you happy here? Do your kids like living here? Why do all your kids have eyes blue? If they find out I homeschool then we have another list of questions.

    ReplyDelete