Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

Summertime Traditions

Budapest Tradition

Since Kuwait

From 2005 - 2009, I lived in Hungary.  I was on staff with a non-profit organization in Budapest that worked in the city and trained international students to follow biblical principles. I learned and grew a lot during my time there. 

After moving back to America in 2009, I wasn't able to visit for many years. Since Kuwait, I have began a new tradition of visiting that wonderful city, and my amazing friends there, regularly. Visiting Budapest has become a new tradition.  



If You Have Eyes For it

If you have talked with me, you've probably heard me gush about Budapest. Budapest is beautiful. Some beauty has always been right on the surface. For example, the lookout from the Buda hills to the bridges over the Danube, is breathtaking. Period. The intricate design of the renovated buildings, are simply stunning. 

I have seen a lot of changes in the last 11 years. Investors have renovated a lot in hopes of making Budapest a travel destination and it seems to have worked. The city is much friendlier to foreigners than it was upon my arrival in 2005 and it's much more well-known.

The city is not without its issues. I don't care for the many sex shops and random drunk person absently talking to themselves. I do, also, still sense an undercurrent of hopelessness in many. Minimum wage is still way below where it should be and retirement can't be easy. For example, the bulging cafe scene must be being supported by tourism because as little as the typical local makes, they couldn't afford to frequent them regularly. 

But if you have the eyes for it, there is more, subtle, beauty to be found. There is beauty in the sweet grandmas selling flowers and the grumpy ones warning you to hang onto your purse, or lecturing your friend to dress their already bundled baby, warmer. You can see it when you look past the not-yet renovated communist style apartment buildings to witness the people scatt
ered about chatting and enjoying the greenery.  It is in the simplicity of families packing their lunches and eating in the park, and the quaint appeal of the peach colored, terracotta roofed houses.

I'm glad this has become a regular stop. And I'm hoping it will continue to be one.


California and Nebraska Highlights

I got to spend a few days with my dad on the West coast.  It was important to me to make it there before the, next, new season of my life. When I was there, we realized there will be nothing but water between us (the Pacific Ocean), after my move to China. 

He still lives in dreamland. Such beauty!





Hometown reunion. It is fun to reconnect with family and friends in the Good Life state every year. This year, my time was busy and too short, but still needed. It was, specifically, a blessing to be a part of this jem's wedding:


and to spend some quality time with my nephews and niece. 
My littlest nephew.
Getting ready for...
... my niece's birthday party.
My older nephew, with Olaf.
With out-of-town family.
Catching up with friends!

Also, 'thank you' doesn't express how blessed I have been by those who prayed with me about the future. Nebraska once again has reminded me how blessed I am.

The Future

So. Though it doesn't seem real, I am actually flying to China... 

TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment