Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sleep, Eat, Teach, Study. Repeat.

Taking Pictures and Having my Picture Taken. 
Went to Al Kout mall to do some grocery shopping and relax a bit. I took these pictures.

A ship at harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

As I was snapping some of these I noticed a family taking pictures.  The husband was taking a picture of his wife with the kids and vice versa so I asked if I could take their whole family's picture.  The husband understood and said yes.  So the wife arranged her abaya, hijab and face covering and I snapped their picture.  I find it amusing that she would care if her picture was taken since you can't see her, but I could tell from her eyes that she was sweet.

Then they asked if they could take my picture. With their camera.  A little awkward, but I said sure. We wished each other a good night and I said goodbye to the loving family. And that is how I missed my opportunity to take a picture of an Arab family with their permission. I wonder if they were from somewhere besides Kuwait, because I had the impression they hadn't interacted with a westerner before.

Flax Seed Insomnia. 
Did you know Flax seed can cause insomnia? After reading about the benefit of this superfood, I ate two tablespoons of them, ground up. Then, I laid wide awake for over 5 hours.  In the morning, less than 2 1/2 hours later, I did a little research and found that Omega 3 oils, like those found in flax seeds, can cause, in some people, insomnia. I think I'm in that minority. 

If this was a health food blog I might go on about how I am also incorporating coconut oil, Apple cider vinegar and ghee into my diet. #myattempttobehealthywithoutexercising

Resolv-ing.
Not doing so well at last weeks resolve.  I spent a little less time doing school work at school but a lot more time at school. But, I think I may be moving in the right direction.

In other school news, I am using the cookie sheet that was too big for my oven (I did buy a smaller one) to create a 'Stop the Blurt' system. Each day students will get 3 blurt warnings, before they face some serious consequences like the loss of recess. I have to find some way to crack down. We are going to try this.

Foodie.
I found out they sell Lassi (the Indian yogurt drink) everywhere here. It's inexpensive, called Laban and so good. I also got a large jar of roasted eggplant today. Very good in small doses. Couscous, which has been a staple in my kitchen for some time, is really common here.  I bought a kilo today for 3 dollars. I do really like the food here.

Sleep, Eat, Teach, Study. Repeat.
Not a really noteworthy week because I was so, so busy with school, then busy with my grad classes on Friday and then with my Arabic class today, Saturday. 
On the way to the Avenues.










But I did spend the rest of today at the Avenues.  Where we saw these 24 carat gold iPhone 6 cases.
I have completed my third Arabic class. It's fun. We learn a few phrases and a few letters every week. Here is some of my homework. And my first name in Arabic.




No comments:

Post a Comment