Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Staycation Rundown

MALLS, MALLS AND MORE MALLS
"They" say Kuwaitis' favorite things to do are shop and eat. Well, Wow. I spent a lot of time doing both of those things, this week. I do like malls, especially if it's a mall I have never been to before. But, I'm not much of a shopper. I never go into stores. Almost ever. My typical mall routine: I walk around the perimeter of the mall a couple of times and then get settled at a coffeeshop somewhere.
BUMMED
Nearly two hours before a weekday showing of the Maze Runner, we went to buy our tickets and... it was sold out! I was/ am a little bummed about that.  I am pretty sure the movie has now left Kuwait. Adios. It was so surprising it was sold out because when I went to see The Giver on a weekend (though admittedly not on an Eid break) the whole theater was left to me, 1 friend and 3 strangers.  

THE OLD SOUK
Went to the Mubarakiyah, the old souk(or souq) or market.  Bought some dates, took some pictures and was rather surprised.  It is larger and had more character than I expected.  
The Grand Mosque is close to the souk.
Bought some lentils here. Then asked if I could take a picture.

GAME NIGHT
Attended a game night.  The hosts make their abode in a sea side apartment, floor 3. So I took this. 
Played Bananagrams for the first time.  Fun!

BEACH DAY
I went to the beach for a day. Read under an umbrella, scouted for shells and frolicked in the gulf.  Took a midday intermission at a next-door Starbucks and came back for my favorite part of the excursion. 

I love low tide! Couple that with rock climbing, picture taking and a sunset and you have the ingredients for bliss. I'm originally from Northern California though I, now, proudly wear the Nebraska pin. So, to me 'beach' brings up images of rocks and peaceful wave sounds rather than sunbathed lounging. 

Tree Love.
Low tide love. When it's low tide you get to walk way out, to where just a few hours before the ocean was, and treasure hunt.  I extracted a rather large collection of shells. 


EID PARTY
Went to an Eid party at the AWARE center where I got to dress like this. 

BOO
And now, boo, break is almost over.  Church today(and a research paper) and Arabic lessons tomorrow(and next weeks lesson preparations) and then it's back to the grindstone, come Sunday.

RESOLVE
I am going back with this new resolve: I want to spend 10 (though I'd long to get it down to 9) hours at work each day and return home without any curriculum books. So far it's been 9 hours at school and then a couple hours at home.  It takes 30 minutes traveling to and from school, as well. When you combine those addends, you get a rather large sum. Too large of a sum, thus the new resolve.


2 comments:

  1. I love reading about this adventure! I'm glad you're blogging regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are reading it, err, I mean enjoying it. It is a good reflection time for me, too.:)

    ReplyDelete