Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Cheng-DO!

I took a personal day in early December and went on another solo trip. One short, inexpensive flight and I landed in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province. 
*personal day- we get 2 days to use at our discretion, each year
 



I went with 2 goals, 1.) to see the pandas (CHECK) and hold one if possible,  and 2.) to see that huge Buddha in Leshan- a short train ride away (CHECK).

I found Chengdu extremely easy to maneuver and very inexpensive. Each bus ride cost the equivalent of 15 American cents and my 45 minute taxi ride from, and to, the airport cost less than 10 dollars, each way. 

Interesting Things
People in Chengdu found me very interesting. More so than in Xiamen and that is saying something, because in Xiamen I feel pretty special. At one point, I realized I was walking into a group of pre-teens and, thinking twice about that, I tried to discreetly change course. (I find that especially that age likes to try out their limited English on foreigners, when in groups.) Before I could turn around, roughly 6 of them saw me and collectively moved towards me shouting, "Hello, How are you?".  It was a little creepy. Especially after the crowds I had just faced at the cool Giant Buddha. 

Other things I took note of (Gotta get my random in): all the women in Chengdu wear shiny black pants and even though it was pretty darn cold, no one wore gloves. 


The Giant Buddha 
This grand statue is the world's largest stone carving of Buddha. It is from 713 AD!


Face Changing Opera
My time at the Face Changing Opera was really fun because I had no idea what was happening! I wanted to try to catch a theatrical production as it is a 'thing' in most touristy locations in China. It was one of the listed tours at the hostel, so I signed up. Turns out I was the only person that signed up, so I got my own personal Mandarin speaking opera expert. In short, I received first class .service. And it turns out, face changing is impressive, but not as scary as I imagined. Phew. 




Pandas, Pandas, Pandas
I got to see a lot of these adorable creatures. Panda's natural habitat is the mountains of western China, but most of these endangered animals now live in sanctuaries in that part of the country, mainly in Sichuan province. Sigh. I love them. Unfortunately, I did not get to hold one. It is currently, and I think/ hope temporarily, outlawed because an animal somewhere, maybe a panda, hurt someone. I don't know the details. This sanctuary is a research and breeding sanctuary. Panda babies (the whole thing is, evidently, pretty monitored) are born in early fall so I want to go back at that time  There were young pandas but no babies when I went.
 


For a 14 dollar donation, I received an official stuffed panda toy and an official certificate saying I donated to the World Wildlife Fund. So worth it.  

I really enjoyed my time in Chengdu and I highly recommend visiting it. So, if someone ever asks you, "DO you want to go to Cheng-DO? you reply, "Yes, I DO!"



1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    You are doing a super job with this blog. There is a noted progression from your Middle Eastern posts. I have decided to become an avid follower of Congressman John Lewis. Read CNN & you will understand. You look great in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete