Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Down Under Summer Christmas



Australia Exceeded my Expectations


Australia was not high up on my travel wish list. So I was surprised by its stunning beauty.



Celebrating CHRISTmas


Fellowship, not travel was my reason for going 'down under'.  I went to visit a close friend and spend Christmas reflecting and celebrating the birth of Christ with like-minded folk. We went to a midnight service on Christmas Eve. We also read the story of Christ's birth together before Christmas dinner.




Sarah and I met one of our first days of college, in Minnesota, and have been friends ever since. We have spent several Christmases together in Europe, where we both used to live. Her and her husband were wonderful tour guides and spoiled us with great food. I loved being able to see her new life in 'the land down under'.


Summer Christmas


It is summer in Australia now. That wasn't such a difficult transition since I flew in from subtropical China and I met another friend who traveled over from Kuwait- the sand box where we both lived, until recently.

  

However going for a Christmas morning swim was a first. Though summer, the water was really cold, so I almost passed it up. But I didn't, and I'm glad I made the plunge. Sarah had a boogie board, so I also got to give that a try.



The Sydney Bridge Climb


The only thing I knew about Sydney before deciding to travel there was the opera house, and I had a vague memory of seeing photos of people climbing something. After a generic 'top ten things to do in Sydney' internet search, I discovered it was a bridge, in the middle of the city, that I'd seen photos of people on. I asked and she answered. My friend replied, "Yes, she definitely wanted to climb Sydney Harbour Bridge!", so I sucked it up and paid the ridiculously large sum they charge to climb it.



Well, I loved it! and don't regret a thing. My friend, on the other hand, told me a few minutes before we suited up that- she has a fear of heights. Umm... "This was your idea!", I exclaimed. In fact, she was, and is, terrified of heights. 24 hours after the (really fun!) venture, she had stopped shuddering at the memory. It took nearly 48 hours for her to be able to say she was glad she did it. I find it all hilarious (not the fear, but the situation). Look at our group photo. I think you can figure out which one is my acrophobic friend. We all came around her and posed, in order to get a shot with her.



Kangaroos are Cute


I feel privileged to have seen kangaroos. I didn't even entertain the notion that we might see their little pouch-bound joeys. The mamas were so sweet. And hungry.  So special!





 
Above is a photo of a koala and kangaroo road crossing sign. We saw both creatures in the wild. They actually have a lot of kangaroos in Australia. They even eat them. Above is a photo of some kangaroo jerky.


Koalas are cool.



The Great Ocean What?:

Hearing About and Touring the Great Ocean Road


The 17 hour tour was amazing. There were 20 of us and a tour guide. We stopped at all the prime spots and learned a ton. Australia is gorgeous. The pictures speak for themselves.






A Nebraskan in Australia.  




The Random and Ringing in the New Year


We started this Australian adventure in Sydney, but drove down to Melbourne where we rang in the new year, earlier than most. We celebrated at a small house party where we played games and watched the fireworks.


I climbed that bridge!


Australians like to shorten words. For example, brekkie is the meal you eat to break the fast, you wear sunnies to stop from squinting at the sun and Makkas is where you can buy a McFlurry or a Big Mac. 





It wasn't before, but now, Australia is on my travel wish list. There is still so much to see. There is the Great Barrier Reef, Tasmania and... wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment