Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Beautiful Bali and Impressive Indonesia


 

Indonesia is impressive because of its beautiful scenery, great food and the fact that it's relatively inexpensive. Specifically Bali is great because everything is so friendly to travelers. They have adapted to having Western and other foreign visitors and yet it maintains its exotic nature with its lush landscape, beautiful beaches and extravagant Hindu decor.

Another thing that is impressive is the amount of travel time I'll endure to same money. It basically took me 2 days to get to Bali. I taxied from work to the train station. I high-speed trained it to the Chinese border. After leaving China and entering Hong Kong, I taxied to an airport hotel and slept. Upon awakening, I walked to the plane, plane-ed to another plane and taxied to my final Bali guesthouse. The way back was even longer, but I always manage to find something interesting and enjoyable to either see, eat, or read along the way.


BALI

I heard it's crazy at the Bali airport from other seasoned travelers, but it wasn't for me. Since I didn't know that was going to be the case, I had arranged for someone to be waiting, sign in hand (with my name), for our arrival. I always get a kick out of seeing my name like that. Lol.

This actually wasn't a solo trip. I went with a colleague and friend. We had fun challenging each other to different adventures of choice. I bet we'd each pick different things that we thought were the 'highlights' of the trip, but I think because we have some different interests we got a fuller 'experience'. 

Tianqi Hen Hao; Nice Weather

In Xiamen it's winter, and while it doesn't get cold enough to warrant central heating, it feels cold because of the humid weather, concrete buildings and lack of carpeting. In my opinion those things actually prove central heating is warranted. Because of the cold feeling, I was looking forward to warmer temperatures. It was plenty warm in Indonesia. There was one rain filled day, but overall the weather was great.


What's you do in Bali?

Even though I don't love monkeys, our visit to the lush and shady Monkey Forest was cool and picturesque.



We paid a short visit to a rice terrace. I've been to rice terraces in China before, and they are among my most favorite things, so I could have spent a lot more time there. It was really beautiful. We also got to go on an 'extreme' swing over the terrace, which was amazing and a definite highlight of mine. 




We also saw a large waterfall. I really hadn't seen that many waterfalls in my life, up to that point. I ended up seeing many in Indonesia. The water is a little muddy because of the recent rainfall.



The next morning we got up in the middle of the night in order to make it to the top of Mt. Batur to see the sunrise. Mt. Batur is an active volcano, though obviously it's monitored and not due to erupt anytime soon. I was a little surprised at the loose stone and dusty ash we needed to climb up, but the view was pretty and the experience- worth it.





Fantastic Food and Bizarre Beverage

We ate amazing meals at our guest house and restaurants everyday. I loved the food in Bali. I haven't seen many Indonesian restaurants in my world travels, but I'm not sure why because their food is wonderful. I tried a new fruit, too. This is a highlight. I love discovering new fruits! Snakeskin fruit. So different and delicious. I really liked the fermented tofu, called tempe, too. Bali also has a great variety of international foods.




 

 

We also got to make Indonesian food. We participated in an amazingly organized and aesthetically pleasing cooking class. The food was delicious. 





We also drank Lowak coffee. This is a coffee that is cleaned, roasted and brewed after being digested by a civet cat. It's a novelty and expensive. It has an interesting history and it was fun to try. But, I don't think its taste warranted all the fuss.



 


GILI AIR

Next, we spent a few days on a nearby island called Gili Air. Technically it is not Bali, but it's also a typical tourist destination. It is part of Lombok. It's a small island that's still being developed, but has a lot of beauty. Thanks to my traveling partner, we had a great hotel location, right on the beach. I got a little stir crazy, when the biking they advertised didn't pan out as I expected. I also regret not trying to snorkel, which I have never, and still never, ever done. But Gili Air was a nice beach addition to the trip, making the Indonesia experience richer. I spent a lot of time laying on the beach under an umbrella. Unbelievably I still managed to get sunburned, even under cover.


 

LOMBOK

Next to make a rich trip even fuller, we went to the larger Lombok island to meet up with some friends of my colleagues. One of the friends lives in Lombok so it was special to get a glimpse of her life there. Motorbike, malls, friendly neighbors, floor eating and showers without hot water are the adjectives that first come to mind, when describing my short stay in Lombok. 

We had a fun 'waterfall adventure day'. This was a highlight. We spent a few hours trekking (like real trekking) with a local guide who helped us find several unique and beautiful waterfalls. We went into the waterfalls and I even got to go behind one.



 


Indonesia is somewhere I would definitely return to because of its incredible natural beauty. Bali is super convenient and itself has so much variety and beauty to offer that there really does seem to be something for everyone. I can easily see why it's one of Asia's most popular vacation destinations. 




No comments:

Post a Comment