Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Jiangxi's Sanqing Mountain

Another beautiful mountain. Sanqing mountain in Jiangxi province is situated between Wuyi mountain in Fujian province and Huang mountain in Anhui province. They all have similar characteristics, especially Sanqing and Huangshan. They are all beautiful and I've hiked each of them this year. Sanqing mountain is a National Geopark and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Its name means 3 peaks.





How'd You Get There?


On Fridays the school day ends, for teachers, at 2:45 which makes it possible to get an early start on weekend trips. I took a high-speed train 4 1/2 hours northwest, before taking a taxi for about an hour to my hotel. The trains are comfortable, so I napped and read, as usual. 




Would you stand on this? 

That is the same walkway from far away. 
I love how they make my stomach drop.

Mountain Weather

Typically I get great weather on my hikes. Only Tianmen mountain, which I visited in Hunan province, was socked in with fog the whole time I was there. I tend to have early morning fog which rolls out shortly after. I've had clear blue skies and the desired 'sea of fog' at many locations. 



The 'trails' are man-made paths build on the mountain side.


Aren't You Tired?

People tell me they are too tired to travel on the weekends. "Aren't you tired?", they ask. Though I do get a lot of photos and see much on my trips, I also take a lot of down time. This weekend excursion was particularly relaxing. Saturday morning, I left my hotel around 7:30 am and walked the few minutes to the ticket counter and chairlift. Thankfully, the chairlift takes you up part of the way. I was ascending stairs on the mountain by 8. I exerted enough energy climbing, walking and picture taking that, spent, I was back in my plushy hotel room before 3, where I ordered room service and layed around watching YouTube videos. I ate the buffet breakfast the next morning and arrived back to Xiamen late afternoon. It was actually an incredibly refreshing weekend. 


Convenient

Xiamen now has metro transportation, so I was happy to take it directly home from the train station. I ordered my groceries as I rode they underground. They were delivered to my apartment shortly after I arrived home. China is very convenient in these kind of ways. I also order lunch and occasionally dinner to my apartment door for less than it would cost to go through a drive through in America. For example my cheapskate staple lunch is delivered my school's security gate for the equivalent of 2.49 USD. Generally a meal, including delivery fee, is under 5 dollars.


You Travel A Lot

If you're wondering, even my co-workers think I travel "all the time" and "every weekend". Which is not true. If I travel on a weekend, I bookend it with weekends where I have relatively no commitments and I mostly stay in my apartment and hermit. And actually, I usually just travel one weekend in between our normal school holidays. As a teacher I typically get a week off at fall, aka fall break, 2 weeks off at Christmas/Winter break, a week for spring break, and a few more during summer break. As a teacher in China, my summer break is 2 weeks shorter in order to give me an additional 2 week long 'Chinese New Year' break. If I didn't have those breaks from teaching, I would most definitely burnout as I completely deplete by energy most days, though I love my job. But that is a lot of breaks. So I travel. During this season I have had the amazing privilege of traveling a lot. But not, "all the time". Today though, after work, I'm heading to Korea(spring break).


No comments:

Post a Comment