Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

My 2 Cents

My 2 Cents
It's the weekend. I finished my two graduate classes on Wednesday so the weekend now sparks a new emotional response than it has so far this school year. Want a piece of advice? Don't take 2 grad classes your first year teaching. Especially not if you are doing it in a foreign country. Just my 2 cents.

Boring
Internet readers don't read. It's true. I've read several articles on this in one of my most recent grad class- Technology for Teachers. They look at pictures and scan headlines.  I knew it was true after the first article, because I don't really read much on the Internet either.

This isn't really a scannable (and thus it's probably boring) post.

Exotic
She told me it was so she could do research on her animal project.  
One of the girls in my class... 
We are writing informational books about a animal. 
Her's is a lion.

Her uncle got a lion cub from Africa. Not sure how they got it in the country but apparently they did, they do, as it is popular for people to buy and trade exotic pets in the Middle East. You can read more about that if you follow one of the links below. In this case though, after a couple days, "they" came and took it to the zoo.



Original 
Noora wrote an observation in her journal: 

Seeds can be all shapes and sizes? 

Do you agree with Noora's observation? Why or why not?

Above was the part of the writing prompt I asked my Third graders to respond to after our recent Science lab. In the lab we looked at kiwi, apple, orange and plum seeds.

Most original answer: I disagree, because I've never seen a seed as big as a whale. 

Well, I did ask if they came in all shapes and sizes.  I really must word my prompts more carefully. 

Jumping for Joy
I requested and was given some Starboard training this week. I've had an interactive white board all year but it's only been a not so glorified (well sort of glorified since it does have sound) projector. But now, *insert a mental jumping picture of me here* I can touch my whiteboard to switch between web pages and write on my screen(with my finger). Pathetically, I've been writing on and holding up a mini white board to teach math. Turns out once it was calibrated it was actually ready to go, but I learned some neat tricks, too. Now to search for some Starboard lessons.
Picture this
Encouragement
The day had a tremulous start. Tremulous as in a magnitude 6 earthquake.

On that shaky morning, though I didn't have time to open it until later, I got a super sweet note for one of my students.  It is just overwhelming, in the best way, how on really, really hard days some sort of encouragement like this comes my way. 

Missing that feel
Tree is up, with lights, in the classroom. It was unexpected how happy it made me. Can it really be the 12th of December? 

I wrote in last week's post about how it is surprisingly Christmasy in Kuwait. That is because I thought it might be this taboo, youbetternotsaytheword thing, which it isn't. 

I don't like consumer Santa-mas but I like the peace, joy and giving of Christmas. I don't miss the X number of shopping days left, but I love the O Come, O Come Emmanuel and O Come all ye Faithful. The tree does help some. I just made some bread dough ornament to cover its nakedness. The day's soundtrack has been classic Christmas tunes. I even have 3 holiday parties lined up. Maybe I'll get the that feel yet.

1 comment: