Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Camels and Things I've Observed

Classroom Life 
A Roller Coaster 
One day last week I wrote, "I feel like I may be getting into my groove a bit. I find myself joking around with the class more. It's fun."

But then, last Thursday (our last day of the week) I mourned my lack of patience and was annoyed by my abundance of frustration.

It is definitely a roller coaster ride.  The class has, in general, improved at classroom procedures and matured. And, overall, it's easier.


My days are still long and exhausting.
Okay, enough.

Random Things I've Observed in Kuwait
Pets
Dogs are rare in Muslim countries (Google that if you want details) and I can't say I've missed them. I am not a big pet person, in general, but I've had bad luck with dogs in the past. (They have big, scary teeth.) Anyway, they are not very common here so when I do see a dog, it's a bit shocking. I ran into one on the corniche this week. It was on a leash, but...I haven't missed them at all.
On the other hand, stray cats are everywhere. 

Vices
There is no alcohol allowed in Kuwait. You knew that, right. Smoking, on the other hand, is allowed in most places. Shisha, tobacco smoked in a hookah with other favors, is quite common also. Seems odd to me but who am I to compare and contrast vices.

Dress
Many women here do where the black abayas( the black robe like covering).  Some are boxy shaped and plain, but some have lace and glitter. I saw a sporty abaya recently. It was made of breathable wind suit material and it was adorned with Nike type stripes.  Many women, though, wear jeans, tunics and simple head scarves.  

I am planning to get a head scarf soon. Just to have. If I get one I'll give you a tutorial of how to wear it.  I didn't know this before but a skull cap is worn underneath.  I'll still will look foreign though. I'd have to lay on the eyes liner and get some fake lashes (which will not happen. ever.) to pass, even at a quick glance, as Arab.  

Another First and Second
Riding a Camel

My death grip.  This was ride two, I knew what was coming.
You must hold on!
  
Someone's riding shoes.

Camel Races
No one actually rides them when they race. Here they are bringing them out.
A 14 second video of racing camels!

No comments:

Post a Comment