Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Classroom Absorption, International Groups and Extracurricular Activities

Classroom Absorption 
Cannot believe it's the weekend again.  Had some ups and downs in the classroom. "Chatty culture", so I've been told. It's hard to get their full attention. Patience needed. But, I love my students and, almost all of the time, I am truly having fun when I am with them. 

Random no power, no internet or projector problems were surprising. 

Wow. Parent communication is a big deal here. I am emailed daily. I am also required to send out a weekly newsletter. Not that I can complain. Parent involvement is key. It's a partnership, right.

I find it interesting that none of the kids in the school wear head scarves or coverings, unlike in Nebraska.

It's common for kids to be absent: sick, tired, trip to Abu Dahbi. 
New English Word 
Someone mentioned Spain today, I said I lived there for a time. They said "Really, we have a house there."  Hmm.

I've discovered a new English word. Chalet(sounds like shall-A). After a couple mentions of chalet in our summertime shares, I asked, "Where is Chalet?". The student told me where their chalet was. I later asked another teacher.  Turns out it's a vacation home, often by the water. I've heard it almost daily since then. 

Let me just say summertime share is a bit different here as well. In the past, some of my students didn't have much to share about their summers or write about in personal narratives because going to the local pool or the state fair was the extent to their travels, but here.... You would be blown away. 

Most have maids, drivers and cooks. 

Nike socks for our whiteboard marker erasers.

Normal sweet, humble kids. Really.
International Groups
Still waiting for 3 more students.  They will bring my girl-boy ration a little more into balance.  I now have 2/3 adorable chatty boys and 1/3 adorable and only rarely catty girls. 

They will also make us a much more international group. Bringing us up to a 6 nation group.  If they come.

There is a church just down the road. I walked. It was very international. Love seeing people from all different nations coming together. It was also really long. An hour of singing and then an hour of speaking.   In the classroom, we are building our reading-to-self stamina. I need to build up my church stamina. 

Also went to a small group, which was not within walking distance. Drove with a few other teachers.  Great group of westerners.  
Extracurricular Activities
Must. work. Out. I'm on my feet all day but it's nothing compared to my mostly daily Nebraskan walks. 
Day 3- One workout room down.
Ran the stairs in my apartment once during week 2. Worked out once at ritzy health spa at end of week 2. 
Now nearing end of week 3 and... that's all folks. My goal is 3 times before this time next week. 

I went to the Aware center last week. There was a cultural presentation about Kuwait from a Kuwaiti who went to university in America. And great food. Great free food.  The whole thing was free. 

On my To Do List: 
- Mosque tour and hopefully cafe visit in the towers, tomorrow, Saturday. SO, MORE INTERESTING PICTURES TO COME. I'm still really happy with my pictures last week (the previous post) if you haven't checked them out yet. 

- Go to a movie theater in Kuwait. Maze Runner and The Giver come out soon. 

- Visit the Marina and 360 malls. 

- Go to a Souk (traditional market).

No comments:

Post a Comment