Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

We Come from 6 Nations, We are Loud and We Talk a Lot.

Goals
I haven't been doing too well on my blog announced goals.  Visit 360 mall, Walk to the gulf from my apartment, and Workout 3 times a week- are still unmet. 

This week I have an excuse. Progress Reports happened. Friday was not a weekend day here, this week, either.

I did go to Marina mall and I watched the Giver. 

Did my grocery shopping at a grocery store within an even different new-to-me mall.
Felt strange taking my shopping cart up in the elevator.

Want to make pumpkin and leaf shaped sugar cookies for my class.
This new cookie sheet it too big for my oven, though.
Juice. It's cheap and there are so many varieties.
I got my passport back so I could travel during the upcoming break. So happy to have that option, but I don't think I'm going anywhere. I'd be going just to go, not because I feel like a new adventure yet.  

Things I've noticed
-No recycling options available. I've yet to hear of any place where I can take recycling. So I'm throwing away tin cans and plastic bottles and bags like its the 50's. It feels very wrong. 

- Golden Raisins are made from green grapes and they taste a little like crasins. My package says 'Fancy'.

-In Kuwait we use tissue as napkins. Like literally. The first day of school meetings, we used a box of tissue for napkins, at lunch, and I thought that is resourceful.  But it's normal.
A Small World
A student in the class next to me is from Nebraska. 

I ran into a Hungarian family on my Grand mosque tour last week.

Oh and for a tie in- As a Nebraskan drank her coffee at Kuwait's Marina mall Starbucks, she heard the song Budapest by George Ezra.

Coolest Starbucks wall. Ever.
School Stuff
I still get up work days at 3:10am and catch the 5:10am bus. I usually return home around 4pm.
Snapped this as I was waiting for the bus to leave in the morning.
We have two maids on our floor at school. They are there to clean the bathrooms and classrooms, as needed. They're wonderful. I find it interesting though that they douse the whole bathroom in water every morning. Then they squeegee it up.

People wear sunglasses here even inside. This makes it even harder to remember who is whose parent. Head coverings and sunglasses.

Broken Record
My kids are constantly starting their notebooks from the back.

Me- "When we are working in English, we start our notebooks from this side.(showing)"

I sound a bit like a broken record on many topics.

Me- "When you want to get the teacher's attention calmly raise your hands and...."  

Me- "1, 2, 3 eyes on me..." (Students-"1,2 eyes on you")

Daily Reflections
Sunday
Students- "It's picture day today? What!?" 

11 of them didn't realize it was picture day. Hmm. Is anybody reading my weekly newsletters?

Monday 
All 24 of my students have finally arrived back from summer break. We come from 6 nations, we are loud and we like to talk. A lot. 

At the end of the day, I have a throbbing so-tired-of-hearing-my-own-nagging headache. I decide I give this 2 years, and then I'll switch to learning support (aka smaller groups). 

Tuesday
Me- "It's a very exciting day today." drumroll... "It's the first day of fall!"- audible groans. They thought bobbing for apples sounded fun, though.

Wednesday
Me - "This is the best day ever, I love my job; my kids are angels and I got a new classroom rug(I'll have to take a picture)!" I decide I would do this for free.

Upcoming
No new goals for this week. Today, I am starting Arabic lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment