Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

School's in Session

Independence
Tried to establish my independence last weekend. The school has guards 24/7 so we can go in whenever we want. So I did. 

I hailed 2 taxis alone(before I'd only called the taxi driver I knew to pick me up). One from the street outside the school. Uneventful(a good thing).

The second one was a guy standing outside of Ikea. He took my bag and walked me(the weekend before we did the same, and I was super-paranoid-suspicious girl, but the guy was legit) to an unmarked car(not a taxi!) and when I resisted(wrestled my bag out of his hands), he showed me his civil ID(I think) saying it was his taxi card. 
Yeah... no. 
I don't think he was trying to harm me. I think he just wanted to get paid for being my taxi driver. But... no. 

It all ended well.

I've hailed several taxis by now- can't say it doesn't cause some stress, but I always feel safe. One of the last ones asked if I was a wife(broken English), I tried to lie but he asked more questions and I fessed up. He went on to tell me I was beautiful and he didn't have a wife. 

Went to the mall again. Thankfully there was this British guy doing some funny magic shows. 
Well, I watched the guy a couple times and I never saw him do anything magic or funny, but he had a crowd.  I say thankfully because it gave me free range to take pictures without being obvious.  Lots of people had phones out.  Love the zoom on my camera.
I was even part of the show for a few moments. As I walked by one of his smaller venues, he changed the music yada, yada and everyone watched me and smiled. So, maybe I stand out a bit.

I don't think I get stared at though. I admit I don't make eye contact much, nor look around a ton, so I may notice more as time wears on. I should appreciate that I'm not younger and my hair isn't longer and lighter. 

I've ordered from Talabat, the online food service, several times by now. Not a cheap habit to form. I recently prepared lots of food and snacks so I won't be tempted to order online all the time. 
I have discovered the most wonderful paneer. If you haven't tried Indian paneer, you must. 
Random Stuff 
We went to have our blood drawn and a chest X-ray. I had to do all the same tests I was required to do before I came, here. It was slightly traumatic, as it was in the states but for different reasons. 

Okay, the drawing blood part was distressing for the same reason. Needle. in. my. arm. 


But, here we needed to stand in line forever with other foreigners taking over our personal space inch by inch.

Went to a fancy health club with beach access. Membership is equivalent to 1,750 dollars for 9 months with a 10 dollar cab ride each time(if you go alone). I'll make do without. Access to the water and the freedom to wear normal attire was nice. 

Swam in the Persian gulf. It was warm, nice warm and I thought it got pretty deep right away.
Fa-thai-ya love. It's this dough filled pocket yumminess(they seem to have variations of that all over the world. This one is oven baked and filled with cheese, spinach or meat. There is a shop close to the school that sells them for cheap. 
Syria (I don't know his real name).
Our Fa-thai-ya maker.
Trying out all the chocolate bars I can buy in the little bakala(little shop) downstairs.
The bakala right outside my apartment.
Got more free stuff. An electric kettle, drying rack, microwave(for cheap), etc., etc.

One of the new teachers is a fellow YWAMer. 

The Countdown
SUNDAY, 3 days before school started
My classroom is coming together slowly. 

Laminating is unlimited. Paper to cover my bulletin boards is available. There are helpers to put up my bulletin boards!

But, on the other hand, there is no supply closet. Things like a stapler, scissors, sticky notes, etc. I don't have them (You fill out a supply list. I eventually got some of the stuff on my list). If the last teacher in my room didn't leave it, I'm out of luck or, more likely, I go buy it myself. 

The students bring a ton of supplies themselves and if we need something for the class I can ask them for it.  

MONDAY, 2 days before school started
I got my class list. 23 students. And only a couple names I can pronounce.

The classroom is as good as it is going to get. I learned a little about myself in the process. Things don't have to be perfect, BUT I will do whatever I can to get them perfectly how I planned them. In other words I can deal, but I won't if I don't have to.
TUESDAY, the first day of school
The latest I can leave for school is 6 am because I must be there by 6:45, but I want to get to school a few minutes early so I am taking the 5:15 bus.  Which means I am planning to wake up at 3:00 ish. Okay, that's insane but the thing is I haven't even been here for 2 weeks yet and my sleep pattern isn't very set. And I'm excited to start school year.  I'll survive. And I'll go home right after school.

Today was a blur.  I didn't know school supplies could cause so much chaos and confusion.

Finally met some locals- students and their families. I'm still figuring out the particulars but I my class is mainly middle Easterners(1 who just came from living most of her life in North America), one European and 2 North Americans(who have spent most of their lives in the Middle East). 

Totally skipped my first school meeting, unintentionally. #badfirstimpression #actuallynobodynoticed. 

WEDNESDAY, second day of school
DAY 2 done(and awesome), but only 16 of 23 students have shown up so far. 

Maintenance is super speedy. My whiteboard fell off the wall the first day of school while I was teaching. The kids loved it. It was back up in a jiffy.

THURSDAY, third day of school
First week done. Check. Love my students! Still haven't met 5 of them yet. Was still, on day 3, excited to get up, even at, 3:10 to start the day. I've been going to bed at 8.
Random School Stuff
Happy that in a 3 layered school, I am on the first floor and close to the bathrooms and recess field. There is no playground equipment and it's over 100 degrees and they are fine.

Working with a famous Pinterest teacher. She has over 4K followers to my 246. 

Also big score that she is married to embassy. Can someone say shipping.

Upcoming
My big weekend plans: Orientation to Kuwait by a local nonprofit organization(with a free meal), homework for my UNK classes, lesson planning, guitar and church(for the first time).
Around my Neighborhood.
It's not all glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment