Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

One month in Kuwait

When in Rome
I went on a Grand Mosque tour. We had to wear a head covering, long skirt and long sleeved shirt. I was dressed like I normally dress (capris and a tee), so I needed to cover with an abaya (long black covering) and a hijab (head scarf). They had free ones available for tour go-ers to borrow.
Very sweet, cute, sincere man explained Islam to us from his point of view. 
THIS is What I'm Talking About
Then we went to the towers.  I was hoping to eat lunch in the rotating cafe in the top of one of the towers, but it was still closed for renovation. So, we took pictures and ate lunch on the waterfront (at Chili's- my first time eating American food at a restaurant here.)

We also got a personal car tour by another teacher. By the end of the day I was feeling like I'm actually seeing Kuwait now!
Also returned to Al Kout mall to buy groceries and eat dinner this week. 
We ate at an Iranian restaurant. Huge pieces of bread and teeny strong cups of tea, at the end.  
BTW- feta cheese and soda are cheap here. Feta is only $1.80 for 18 oz. and a can of sodas is less than $0.50, even at convenient stores. I also discovered store bought fatayer (fa-thai-ya) that I mentioned a week back. Not as good as the stone oven-baked version, but I regular shopping item nonetheless. Also cheap- about $0.50 each.
School Stuff
2 weeks into school and we had a parent only Open House. I had to give two, 15 minute presentations. I was a bit nervous beforehand but it was fun. Less than half of my parents showed up but I have met most of them by now. 

I had 2 new students this week but I'm still waiting for 2 more.  
Exploration
So happy to say I have explored my area a bit more. I can now add Starbucks, Lebanese and Thai food to my repertoire.  

Going to a new (to me) shopping mall today. Marina mall . Planning to see my first movie in a theater here.

Can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit so I can stroll the corniche. 

Corniche- a road (in this case they refer to the walking trail) running along the coast.

Next Weeks Goals
- Planning to start Arabic lessons next Saturday. They will be 2 hours a week for 6 weeks.
- Another mall to want to visit, the 360 mall.  
- Want to walk to the gulf from my house, at least once. 

I did not meet my last week goal to exercise... full stop.

Up and Coming Breaks
We have a week off of school in October but I can't leave the country until I get my civil ID, so I may just get to know Kuwait better, which would be okay too.  

But, I bought my ticket to BUDAPEST for Christmas break. 
Bridge walks, trolley views, subway pastries and goulash- here I come.
Christmas Market, mulled wine and outside ice skating- HERE I COME.



No comments:

Post a Comment