Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

My Nemesis, Holidays and Shopping

My Classroom Nemesis

Hate how I'm thinking about what I despise at this time of thanksgiving. Loom bands are not my friends. 



I cannot control the itsy-bitsy weapons. At first I found them annoying because students were always taking off the bracelets and playing with them. But my feelings have definitely escalated to a very intense dislike. Confiscating and throwing away the culprits doesn't help because they have so little value to the owners. Threatening to tell the vice principal in my toughest voice was my second tactical defense er... offense. I'm wondering how my behavioral reports listed as "Other: Repeatedly shooting loom bands" are being received.

Thankswhat?

Yes, we work on the American holiday of Thanksgiving at this American School.

A new restaurant in our vicinity that typically serves southern cuisine was offering a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Besides white or dark turkey and our 3 choices of sides, homemade stuffing was put on everyone's plate, but mine. I am pretty sure it was just an oversight, but I may not recover from the slight, until I make and eat my own. I would have asked for some, but it got busy and the owner and servers seemed overwhelmed. The meal also came with a choice of desert. I had a piece of amazing pecan pie. All in all, it was nice. It cost 35 dollars.



Black Friday Shopping

Black Friday is evidently not a thing here (since there is no Thanksgiving holiday that makes sense). Not that I did too much shopping on that day in the states anyway. I was typically content to be the designated babysitter/ sleeper.

This year, coincidentally, I did go shopping in Kuwait during America's Black Friday shopping.

Thus the previous logo quiz post.

Surprisingly Christmas-y 

Our school calendar calls our 2 week end-of-December break, Winter Break, but my students refer to Christmas often, Christmas trees are not uncommon and you can even buy nativity sets at Carrefour.  

Holiday and Christmas bazaars are common nowadays, as well. I bought these 2 at a bazaar today:
Staying Cool in Kuwait

I brought my own nativity set from Nebraska. I guess it's about time to put it and my little glass Christmas tree out. I actually have an artificial tree for my classroom (left by a former teacher), too.


Thankful

In an effort to end on a more positive note. This. A picture I snagged from my aunt, of yesterday's amazing Nebraskan sunset.
I know this view well. Breathtaking.

And this. From the only book, not in the bible, I have read 4 times. 
That would be Ann Voskamp's, One Thousand Gifts. Love it. Obviously.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Thx. I'm surprised there's that much CHRISTmas in Kuwait!

    ReplyDelete