Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

An American School in Kuwait?

Practice Compassion. Make a Difference. Learn for Life.  I can get behind that mission statement.

That mission statement, educational excellence and a community focus are a few of the reasons I made a 2 year commitment to teach 3rd grade at this school.

From what I hear, the school is run, in many ways, like a typical school here in America. I will be a general classroom teacher (as in general 3rd grade NOT an English teacher). It's a large school that is taught in English. There are 6 of most grades. So, I will be 1 of 6, 3rd grade teachers. They follow Common Core standards.  I'll even have an interactive whiteboard in my classroom. I'm told the student body is made up of approximately 25% American students, 40% Kuwaiti, and 35% of students come from various Arab, Asian and European countries. This is one of the schools where employees of the American Embassy and American Army base, in Kuwait, send their children. The teachers are native English speakers. 55% of the teachers are American.

There are a few things that will be different though. The work week in Kuwait runs from Sunday to Thursday and the school day goes from 7:00 am-2 pm. Also, students pay to go to this school and they wear uniforms. 

Excited to embark on this new adventure, scheduled to begin August 17th.

2 comments:

  1. Is this like the American School in Budapest that Kristen taught at? She is in Doha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! They are not connected, but similar schools. I hope to see Kristin. We will only be about an hours length flight from each other.

    ReplyDelete