Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Modesty and Islam in Kuwait

Kuwait is a Muslim country; Islam is the official religion of Kuwait. You must dress modestly. Let me rephrase that, you must dress in a way that corresponds with the Kuwaiti opinion of modesty. Some women will be in the black abayas, wear head coverings or be completely veiled, but it is not required. For me, I think, that will mean capris and short sleeve shirts. Your knees and your shoulders must be covered. 

Women vote and drive in Kuwait. One site said, there are more women in the labor force in Kuwait than anywhere else in the Persian Gulf. 


Alcohol is not allowed in the country. There will be a call to prayer 5 times a day. There are Catholic and Christian churches in Kuwait and there is freedom for foreigners to worship, but the churches must be registered with the government. Unrecognized groups are reportedly free to worship in private.

Ramadan is a holy month for Muslims. During Ramadan no eating, drinking, or chewing gum is allowed in public during daylight hours. Yes, for the whole month. If you are guilty of any of these things you can be thrown in jail. I will most likely not experience Ramadan in 2014 because it will occur during summer break from school.
Kuwait seems to have beautiful beaches.
So, what do beaches +Kuwaiti dress code =?

Swimming is allowed but you must go in fully clothed.

From what I've gathered there are public beaches and private beaches. They both offer separate women's only days. There are also private beaches where you can wear a 'normal' swimming suit.
So, I either go in the water in my capris and t-shirt or opt for a private beach. To be honest, I rarely swim at the beach, but walk along the shore, get my feet wet and read a book under an umbrella. Nonetheless, I plan to experience it all; visit the public beaches, go to a private beach and check out a women's beach day. Maybe I'll even swim fully clothed. 
For the record, I do not plan to buy the above swimming suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment