Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Just Another Week in Kuwait

Walking.
This week's, on foot, exploration led me to this camel. We found him just 15 minutes from the apartments.
We discovered a fairly clean, decent length of walkable beach.  No taxi fare needed, but it did require the crossing of some highly trafficked roads. Another find was a cheap Lebanese restaurant on the route.

Coffee Confusion. 
On a typical 3 am morning, I opened up a new package of coffee and was greeted by a wretched aroma.  I had mistakenly bought coffee infused with cardamon. "No!" I've seen this option at the store and thought sometime I'd like to try it, but I was repelled by the surprising stink.  The odor was so offensive I had to toss it in the large garbage bin outside of my apartment. "No cardamom in my coffee, thank you."

After school, I went to demonstrate my coffee competence at the local super bakala (convenience store). After a much closer examination of labels, I gave my dinar to the shopkeeper. 

The following morning, I opened up to this strange sight. 
Who would have ever guessed you could purchase coffee mixed with partially hydrogenated coffee creamer. "Gross!" But I drank it. Better bad coffee than no coffee, unless it has cardamom in it.

Arab Fund Building.
We took a bus to the Arab Fund building today.
Typical bus in Kuwait. Just like the one I ride to and from school in.
This is where some of the important financial decisions for the region are made. I had coffee with our guide Osama. 
By I had coffee with, I mean he happened to sit down at our table. :)
He was fundamental in the building of this immaculate, beautiful structure. He showed me a photo of himself with President Carter. President Bush(senior) has had dinner at the center, too.
Love how they do that to the trunks.
Arabic Course.
There is only 1 more class left in the Primer Arabic course. It has went by very quickly. I am using some Language apps to practice. Memrize is a favorite.
The visuals they use help my remember the letter names. 
I've been taught how to write, identify, and pronounce all the Arabic letters. I've also been taught several common phrases and the numbers from 1-10. Now to learn it all. Our taxi driver is letting us practice with him. I'm planning to spend some time with the Primer course stuff before I continue on to the Beginners level. 

B-day in Kuwait.
I had a very full B-day in Kuwait. Emails, wall posts, gifts, videos and phone calls galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment