Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Spending Time in Kuwait

Walking.

I'm still searching for places I feel comfortable to walk. I took a nice-ish walk from our neighborhood this week. If you take one of the walkway across the highway, you come to a nicer neighborhood with a walking path. I'm not sure how far it goes because it was getting dark the day we ventured over (so we headed back right away).We also went to the corniche (walking path) near the city center gulf road and it was ah-mazing. The weather is great right now. There was such a variety of people we blended right in.  The moon was full and low that day, as well. The unfortunate thing is it is a 10 dollar taxi ride from my home. The worst and the best.

Being a teacher sure has its ups and downs. Love the kids but... my patience fails to withstand their testing at times. I have finished my report cards. They were a lot. Of. Work. 

Carpet shopping in the Old Market.

Our night of new experiences at the Mubarakiyah souk(market) was kicked off with Egyptian fare.

After eating, we went shopping for an Iranian/ Afghan carpet. I went with a friend who was in the market for a rug. She purchased one for a third of what she would have in America. It is made of lamb neck wool (there is probably a more elegant way to say that) and took around 4 months to make. And it's gorgeous. 


A typical taxi in Kuwait.
The money exchange place.  All out in the open(behind glass) and no guards.
Later, we returned home by bus.  It was my first experience on a public bus in Kuwait.  The front is for women.  We were the only women on the bus so some men got up and gave us their seats. It was comfortable and very inexpensive.

Down time, you are missed.

One week of relative down time (Ha. I mourn for my down time.  I haven't seen any for weeks) before parent teacher conference craziness.  But, not too much longer before Christmas break in Budapest and Prague. 

Where will I go for spring break?

I'm in the middle of planning my Spring Break trip now. Hopefully I'll have some details to share soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment